The Office of Financial Aid at Williams College, in accordance with federal regulations, is committed to the highest standards of professional conduct. We are members of the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators and follow its code of conduct, which is detailed below along with our mission statement and vision. We invite you to contact us if you have any questions regarding these statements.
NASFAA Code of Conduct for Institutional Financial Aid Professionals
An institutional financial aid professional is expected to always maintain exemplary standards of professional conduct in all aspects of carrying out his or her responsibilities, specifically including all dealings with any entities involved in any manner in student financial aid, regardless of whether such entities are involved in a government sponsored, subsidized, or regulated activity. In doing so, a financial aid professional should:
- Refrain from taking any action for his or her personal benefit.
- Refrain from taking any action he or she believes is contrary to law, regulation, or the best interests of the students and parents he or she serves.
- Ensure that the information he or she provides is accurate, unbiased, and does not reflect any preference arising from actual or potential personal gain.
- Be objective in making decisions and advising his or her institution regarding relationships with any entity involved in any aspect of student financial aid.
- Refrain from soliciting or accepting anything of other than nominal value from any entity (other than an institution of higher education or a governmental entity such as the U.S. Department of Education) involved in the making, holding, consolidating or processing of any student loans, including anything of value (including reimbursement of any expenses) for serving on an advisory body or as part of a training activity of or sponsored by any such entity.
- Disclose to his or her institution, in such manner as his or her institution may prescribe, any involvement with or interest in any entity involved in any aspect of student financial aid.
The Williams College Office of Financial Aid is dedicated to providing students with the financial resources and individual guidance necessary to pursue a high quality educational experience. In support of the broader mission of the college (i.e., to recruit and retain a diverse student body from a wide mix of socio-economic backgrounds), we are committed to offering need-based assistance which meets the full demonstrated financial need of all students. We comply with all federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations to assure the ethical stewardship and awarding of funds from a variety of sources. The Office of Financial Aid works as a team to provide coordinated support to other college offices and departments.
The Williams College Office of Financial Aid believes in fostering partnerships with students and their parents which are built on a solid foundation of good communication and cooperation. Our hands-on approach with families is essential to creating a positive environment and smooth transition to college life. This working relationship ensures timely completion of aid applications and notification of financial aid eligibility to both prospective and continuing students. We subscribe to the basic principles of institutional need analysis which promotes a fair and equitable treatment of family situations and distribution of need-based funds. We are sensitive to individual special circumstances which make a family unique; and we often use professional judgment to make exceptions.